- Excellent skills in writing, spelling and grammar
- Able to gauge and use the appropriate style of writing for the intended audience
- Able to proactively plan own time and deal with a number of concurrently running activities
- An eye for detail and the ability to see the big picture
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A practical and sensible approach to problem solving
- Familiar with IT concepts and the Internet
- Understands web technologies, including content management systems, HTML and SEO best practices
Home-Based Content Writer and Editor (Jan 2009 to present)
For the last three years I’ve had the opportunity to work for different clients/companies needing various types of content. Majority of these were for websites they themselves owned, or were running for other clients. My mandate included creating and submitting SEO-compliant blog articles for specific niches, articles for different article directories such as Ezinearticles, Isnare and the like; press releases, web content articles, product reviews, product descriptions, special reports and even ebooks. I can easily create email, blogs, and the article directory accounts needed for the article submissions as well.
I have also served as editor and team leader to a small group of writers where I was in charge of assigning, monitoring and proofreading as many as 75 articles a day.
Online Content Editor (May 2001 – Jan 2009)
Teleforce Asia Inc (BF Homes Paranaque)
- As online editor I was responsible for managing the content of more or less 40 active websites. I worked with the Marketing Director and Web Manager in creating a content publishing calendar to ensure that there is a pipeline of content for the coming months. I also coordinated with the company’s marketing department to ensure consistency between online and off-line activity.
- Writing copy for links, article summaries and e-newsletters;
- Writing and editing copy for scheduled email and web marketing campaigns;
- Coordinating with artists and designers in creating content relevant to the different areas of our websites;
- Benchmarking our activities against competitor websites and ensuring that our sites provide the level of service expected.
Instructor/Board Member (February 2007 – 2008)
Speech Central is an English review center which my friends and I set up in December 2006. It specializes in training professionals scheduled to take the IELTS and TOEFL, which are English proficiency exams necessary for employment or migration abroad.
My heaviest load was 2-3 lectures per day, three days a week. Subjects included grammar, pronunciation, effective reading, listening, essay and report writing, as well as conversations fluency and public speaking. Nowadays, my teaching ventures are limited to special writing classes scheduled once a month.
Other Writing Experiences:
TODAY (Independent Daily News, Inc)
Reporter (March 1998 – May 2001)
I worked as a news reporter/features and special reports writer for TODAY newspaper for four years. I started right after completing my internship with them during my junior year in college.
I was assigned to cover the local government, police and court beats all over the metropolis. The experience, along with the punishing work hours and deadlines trained me and honed my skills not only in writing, but also in interviewing and extensive research. Gradually, my duties shifted. I covered the Health Department, the Church (at the height of scandals and controversies), the Defense Department, Commission on Elections and the Labor Department. Working as a newspaper reporter meant having to churn out a minimum of 5 stories per day, all before six in the evening.
This, aside from special reports and other assignments makes one feel like living inside a pressure cooker all the time. On weekends, I stayed at the newspaper office to help in copy editing and proof reading.
Freelance Writer (2004):
BOMA One Pacific Corp
A four-month stint on night shift. Prepared articles and copy for several outsourced publications handled by the company.
Copy Editor (2004)
Center for Intellectual Studies, University of Santo Tomas
Reading, proofing and copy Editing articles and research output of faculty members for publication.
Staff Writer (2000 to 2002)
Philippine FREE PRESS Magazine
I contributed special reports and feature articles on a weekly basis. FREE PRESS is the sister company of TODAY newspaper (owned and managed by the family of Makati Rep. Teodoro Locsin, Jr.).
Staff Writer (2000 to 2002)
I contributed special reports and feature articles on health care, parenting and child care on a monthly basis.
Freelance Writer (1999 to 2002)
Law Offices of Michael J. Gurfinkel
This US Immigration attorney married to a Filipina, and since then became known as the “attorney to the stars”.After featuring one of their celebrity cases in the newspaper, the law office commissioned me to write feature articles and press releases for majority of their clients. Among them were stories on Christopher de Leon and Regine Velasquez as well as a series of articles on concert tours sponsored by Gurfinkel Corp. for OFWs in the US.
Freelance Writer/Editor (1999 to 2002)
Center for Learning and Teaching Styles Philippines is on education advocacy group.
A cause I both supported and believed in, I pitched in by writing features and press releases. I also copy edited several training manuals and modules for teachers.
Conceptualizing and executing both corporate and public relations campaigns.
Preparing PR materials such as brochures, flyers, newsletters and press releases and special articles. Among the accounts handled were: ID-Gen Graphics; Ae-med Philippines; Agvet International Corporation; Dr. John T. Cenica (Jancen Cosmetic Surgery); Punta Fuego; Montemar Beach Club; Chili’s Restaurant; Lina Group of Companies; Bank of the Philippine Islands; Philippine Veterans Bank.
Writers Workshop Facilitator:
- News and Features Writing for delegates of the Wow Bata Festival in Intramuros, Manila on May 31, 2006.
- Conducted a week-long workshop in Journalism and Creative Writing for students and teachers of Rosevale School in Cagayan de Oro City in May 2004.
- Facilitated a workshop in News and Features in writing for Grade 6 Students of St. Scholastica’s College, Marikina in 2000.
As Copy Editor
“Lonely Sentinels of the Sea: The Spanish Colonial Lighthouses in the Philippines” written by Architect Manuel Maximo Noche Lopez Del Castillo.
Emanila.com‘s Sa Kabila ng Ritmo (beyond Rhyme) – Mga Piling Tula Ng Mga Bagong Makata. (Anvil Publishing).
Ob- Verse 2: The Second Pinoypoets Chapbook
Bachelor of Arts Major in Journalism(1994 – 1998)
University of Santo Tomas